Written by HyperDebtRay on March 01, 2018 @ 11:05 pm
The game takes place during WWII involving the pacific front of the war. You are a marine named Tommy Conlin and you are tasked to fulfill objectives on various island and atolls while drinking tropical drinks on a beach. OK... scratch that last part, war is hell and for you my dear fps gamer you will be feeling hell as this game frustrates the hell out of you.
Let's jump right into the gameplay since the story isn't all that great. Gameplay is at best a tedious slog and at worst an extremely frustrating experience where you end up dying over and over again due to cheap shots, broken collision and horrendous game design.
Some of the WTF moments you'll be having:
- Hey, lets sneak up on the enemy, WTF I can't move forward because a small twig is blocking me (collision fail)
- Can't aim for sh!t in the jungle because shrub textures are blocking almost half the screen
- Enemies can damage you by shooting through walls
- Half the time some of the bullets don't even register as a hit
- Think you can shoot through some fences or crevices, nope!
- The medic has infinite heals, except you only get 4?
- Grenades bounce so unpredictably that they are worthless
- Sometimes when you down, the game will instantly spawn an enemy right next to you for instant kill even though the medic is just right there
- Planting charges on tanks even though they take 50+ percent of health on hit, what were the designers thinking...
I also haven't forgotten about the squad, they are absolutely HORRENDOUS, they don't really help you except for serving as a diversion and bullet sponges. Even then, they are still terrible at being distractions because you'll notice that enemies will instantly pivot and aim at YOU even though they were originally aiming at your squad mate.
- Squad AI is HORRENDOUS
- Hey! Let's all get knocked out by turret fire and not take cover (AI facepalm)
- Hey! Let's constantly block your line of fire (AI facepalm)
- Hey! Let's heal that other guy instead of you, even though your squad never dies (AI facepalm)
- Hey! Let's block you even though you need cover and are getting shot (AI facepalm)
The sound and music are adequate, you will hear the buzzing of warplanes, the cacophony of bullets whizzing by you, you're squad yelling something completely useless and unintelligible.
Graphics are terrible, I know this was made in 2004, however so did Half Life 2, the graphical asset team needed to step up and create something better.
- Never ever help your squad, you're going to get shot
- If you can find a sniper rifle in the early levels, take it
- Medic heals refill after the loading screen
- Japanese guns you find lying everywhere are garbage don't use them if you can help it
Overall you'll find way more enjoyment from games like the old Call of Duty, I wouldn't recommend this game unless you enjoy being frustrated or want to tick this game off your list and be forever done with it.
There are no comments on this review yet.
- EA Los Angeles
- EA Games
- Action, First Person Shooter
- NA Release Date
- November 4, 2004
- EUR Release Date
- November 19, 2004
- AUS Release Date
- November 19, 2004
- ESRB Rating
- PEGI Rating
- ACB Rating
- MVGL User Score
- Christopher Lennertz