Not a member? We'd love to have you join our community. On MyVideoGameList you can create your own profile, keep track of your video games, meet new friends, and even write reviews on your favorite games (or even for games you hated). We currently have 20391 members, 8648 games in our database and 3491 forum threads. So what are you waiting for? Registration is free and only takes a few seconds! If you love video games, then come join our community!
Already have an account? Login above.
By jimmyb on January 23, 2015 @ 7:00 pm
This past week we've been busy working on a new feature which allows everyone to setup their own blogs on the site. Now you can chronicle your gaming adventures with ease right here! To get started you can visit your blog page and click on the 'Add Entry' button to write your first entry!
You can use Markdown and emoji within your entries. I suggest checking out my personal blog post here to see what sorts of fun things you can do!
You can also set privacy levels on who can and can't see your blog posts (at a per post level), you can allow or disallow comments on your entries and you can set your blog posts and published or unpublished.
If you ever want to edit a blog entry you can visit the entry itself and click on the Edit button or go to your Edit Profile page and you'll see a new tab for Blog Entries.
We'll be adding pagination to the blog pages so when you fill up one page worth of entries you can go back to see old entries with ease. We don't have an ETA on this, but we are hoping to complete it by the end of the month.
Other things we'd like to get done within this Milestone (which has a completion date of April 31, 2015) are:
- Adding Pagination to blog pages (/blog and /myblog)
- Sending a notification when someone adds you as a friend to those who have the notification enabled
- Add more styling to the post bits on the forum
- Complete our group chatroom (no more manual refreshing)
- Add a friend feed which shows you what your friends are up to
- Add an RSS feed to the sites new blog
- Add more privacy options
- Add a groups feature
While we can't guarantee if and when all of the items will be completed, it's certainly our goal to get these worked on and completed as soon as we can!
As usual, please report any bugs or issues to our support forums, it's greatly appreciated!
By jimmyb on January 02, 2015 @ 1:11 pm
This year has gone by so incredibly quickly. I feel like we were just beginning 2014. I hope everyone has had a fun, game-filled 2014! I know we've got a bunch of games and game-related things to look forward too in 2015! Xbox One and Playstation 4 are going on their second year. Nintendo Wii is hanging in there, I know I'm certainly looking forward to the new Legend of Zelda game.
What games is everyone looking forward too?
Around the site, we've been working on various bug fixes and building our database. As you've likely noticed we've gotten swamped with requests and are quite behind in adding them into our database. We're looking for immediate fulfillment of two positions on our team, a Game Submitter and a Games Database Administrator. You can find out more about what these positions are and what the job entails on our jobs page. We're looking for people who have some time to dedicated and want to help build our library of games.
Often I see the question, why can't anyone add games into the database? The answer is quite simple. Quality. When MyVideoGameList previously opened we did allow anyone to add games into the database. This seemed like a great idea at first, but when we started getting tons of poorly put together descriptions and game information we had to stop. The quality of database is very important. We want information about each game to be correct and of the best quality. In order to do this, we have a team of wonderful people who gather all the required information and then another team of equally as wonderful people to review and double check that information and then finally add the game into our database.
That said, please, if you have time and are looking to help out a good cause, please, visit our jobs page, we'd love to have people who understand what we're trying to do and want to help us build a great site, join our team. Just a few hours a week, would really help us out!
To everyone who has used and enjoyed using our website in 2014, thank you. Thank you for being apart of our growing community. Thank you to those of you who submit suggestions on how we can make our community better. I personally read through each suggestion and we've gotten some really really good suggestions. I really hope I can find the time and knowledge to learn how to add this suggestions to the site so they become reality! MyVideoGameList has been a HUGE learning project for me. It's been completely coded from the ground up. I do this all in my spare time, but it's definitely been well worth it to have been able to build such a fantastic community with amazingly passionate gamers and community members.
In the last few months we were able to squish lots of bugs and add a couple new features:
- Issues with game names in email notifications were fixed
- Username mentioning in the chatroom was made possible (will be expanded to the entire site soon)
- We've added new staff to the team
- Added verbiage to the review page when no one had completed or favorited the game
- Switched from using Emojify to EmojiOne
- Fixed a bug when editing your profile
- Allowed users to setup forum signatures
- Fixed an issue where HTML was being stripped from the welcome comment left on new user profiles
- Show a message in the chatroom if no users are online
- New profile fields have been added (e.g., Twitch)
- FontAwesome was updated
- Added a message to the search results page showing user what they searched for
- If there was only one result for a search then we send the user to it
- The game names are now shown in the URLs for reviews
- Custom error pages
- Show new message if no search results - direct user on how to submit a request in forums
- Fix issues when trying to set a game to replaying
- Change emoji images to Twemoji
- Resolved issues related to setting and updating forum signatures
- Use icons on the profile pages, saves room
- Fix an issue with privacy settings not being respected in the feed
- Add pagination to the platform pages
- Allow users to rate various aspects of games when writing reviews
- Fix an issue with start and finish dates when editing a game on your list
It's definitely been a busy last few months, and our todo list isn't getting any smaller!
Thank you again for being apart of our community! Happy 2015! Here's to another awesome year of gaming!
By jimmyb on July 04, 2014 @ 10:49 am
A Happy 4th of July to those in the USA! We hope everyone is (hopefully) enjoying the day off, getting some gaming in and most importantly eating lots of good food!
We've been busy at work adding some new features and fixing bugs so hopefully everyone's had a bit smoother of an experience over the past couple weeks. Today we added emoji support into the site!
Now you can use all those awesome little emoji within:
- Your user bio
- Comments on your profile and your friends profiles
- Comments on game profiles
- Comments on news articles (like this one!)
- Comments on game reviews
- Your forum posts
- Chat messages
If there's any place we forgot to allow emoji's and you think we should, let us know!
So how do you use these awesome emoji's?! Well it's easy, you can reference this website as a cheat sheet! We've already got some of our favorite ones memorized!
We've also added the ability to resend account activation emails. Didn't get yours,? Just email us at [email protected] and we'll send another activation email your way!
Other Bug Fixes:
- Fixed a bug on game profiles where it wouldn't show the correct usernames.
- Updated logic behind start and finish times for games on your list.
- Fixed an issue with screen locking not working properly.
- Fixed a bug preventing user pics from being uploaded.
- Fixed an issue with checking the status of a game in your list when editing the list entry.
- Fixed issue in which users could sign up with duplicate usernames and email address.
- Fixed styling issue for friends boxes on profile pages.
- Fixed the link to add a game to your list directly from search results page.
- Fixed issue with support forums (it wasn't allowing you to select the resolved/un-resolved from drop-down menu).
- Added more error traps in so you know what happened during an error.
- Added a search form to the forums.
- Did a massive code cleanup.
Needless to say we've been pretty busy during this milestone. At present we have about 3 more issues we want to close to consider the milestone complete. Once it is finished we'll be working on a feature milestone which means we should see a bunch more cool things happening!
To all you awesome gamers, thank you for being apart of the community and helping us grow. Have a fantastic Friday and wonderful 4th of July!
By jimmyb on June 20, 2014 @ 11:26 am
Today we've implemented a new password policy and security measures. As such, it will require you to update or reset your account password. Please read the following message as it's VERY important!
If you're currently logged in then please go to your Edit Profile page and click on the Password tab. From here you can set a new password.
If you're NOT currently logged in you will need to use our Forgot Password function to reset your password.
If you're having issues resetting your password or logging in after you've reset your password please submit a support ticket - [email protected]
By jimmyb on June 18, 2014 @ 6:07 am
We've got an extra $20 Playstation Store credit laying around. I figured we should put it up for grabs for one lucky person! All you need to do is head on over to our Facebook or Twitter and share/like or re-tweet our give-away status/tweet to be entered to win.
We'll give everyone until Saturday - June, 21, 2014 11:59:59 CST to enter.
* Please note this code is for gamers with a USA PSN account only.