Welcome to MyVideoGameList!
Not a member? We'd love to have you join our community. On MyVideoGameList you can create your own profile, keep track of your video games, meet new friends, and even write reviews on your favorite games (or even for games you hated). We currently have 50204 members, 28487 games in our database and 12241 forum threads. So what are you waiting for? Registration is free and only takes a few seconds! If you love video games, then come join our community! Click on the little blue icon with the controller in the upper right corner.
Hey, fellow gamers! Happy Holidays!
So this year is coming to an end & we planned something special for 2018 since we want to bring our community more together here at MVGL. It involves videogames, of course!
Some of our users may know the MAL Annual Anime/Manga Challenge, so here in MVGL we thought about a videogame challenge!
What is it about? During 2018 you'll be playing videogames based on different challenges and difficulty.
The fun thing about this challenge is that it's a great way to learn about new games, play genres that you wouldn't even consider playing and, why not, get to know more people!
Remember you can sign up anytime!
jimmyb on November 28, 2017 @ 10:54 pm
Greetings fellow gamers!
We've been adding several new fixes into the site, as well as one major feature. We hope everyone had a great November, and got to play a lot of games. Did anyone get anything new during the Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales? We snagged the new Wolfenstein game along with Minecraft: Story Mode - Season 2!
- We've added a bunch more fixes and updates into our new email queuing system (hopefully it runs smoother!)
- We resolved an issue with the gamer feed showing incorrectly in the sidebar on certain pages
- A bug in the donation block was resolved
- We fixed UTF-8 characters showing improperly in email notifications
- We resolved an issue with showing the wrong forum posts on user profile pages, the correct ones should show up now
- Users can now select consoles they own to show off on the sidebar of their profile
A feature request which has been pending for quite some time has been brought to light. The hold up was due to the lack of a graphics artist. Our very own bergdoll has stepped up and designed 50+ graphics for usage with this feature. You can head over to 'Edit Profile > Game Consoles' and select the consoles you own (or have owned or whatever you'd like to use the feature for) and they'll be displayed on the right sidebar of your profile. We'll continually add new consoles as they come out and are added into our database. If you haven't already given this feature a go, DO IT NOW! It's awesome!
FalotForonke and Nagizuma are also working on something for everyone. We hope to provide more news about that within the next month or so. I think you're all really going to like it. It'll bring our community even closer with some fun things!
Have a safe, happy and game filled holiday season!
jimmyb on November 18, 2017 @ 9:39 am
Hello everyone! As 2017 is coming to a close we wanted to share our favorite games of the year. We've all been working on and playing tons of great games this year, but the following stood out as the ones we enjoyed the most. If you haven't played them yourself, we definitely recommend them!
Picked by jimmyb
I had a tough time trying to figure out which game I really enjoyed the most this year, so I went with PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUND. While it's definitely the most anxiety-inducing game I've ever played, I can definitely say each time I played I had a lot of fun. Having never played this genre of game before, PLAYERUNKNOW'S does a good job of making things dead on simple. Gear up, get weapons and attempt to stay alive until the end! While 99% of the matches I played ended within 5-10 minutes, I thoroughly enjoyed the wide variety of outfits, and weapons one is capable of collecting throughout the map. The current map itself is huge and with 100 gamers in the match, it certainly leads to some tense and action-packed moments. I'm eagerly awaiting the 2 new maps which I hope come out this coming year, as well as the Xbox One release in a little under a month!
Resident Evil 7: biohazard
Picked by morgan
As a huge fan of the Resident Evil series, I was very happy to see the game return to more of its roots. While definitely much better then the 5th and 6th game in the series, it wasn't exactly like the 1st and 2nd games. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed working my way through the old Baker family house. The attention to details, puzzles, and story kept me entertained throughout the game. I have yet to work on the DLC but I'm sure it'll be fun!
Picked by bergdoll
2B or not 2B game of the year, that is the question. In this sequel to the 2010 action RPG Nier, the eccentric Yoko Taro brings us more of his unique design choices, tragic stories, and philosophical musings and I've been having a blast with it. The masters of spectacle combat PlatinumGames (Bayonetta, Vanquish) are the developers this time around which brings welcome improvement to the gameplay of the first one. In terms of gameplay, I'm particularly fond of the bullet hell mechanics which spices up the regular hack n' slash combat significantly. In terms of story, themes and characters I'm fond of how it plays to the medium's strengths, Nier: Automata would hardly work as anything but a game. And lastly, in terms of the audiovisual, I absolutely adore the divine soundtrack.
Star Wars Battlefront II
Picked by VilkaTheWolf
Star Wars Battlefront 2 has gotten a lot of negative feedback within its first 3 days of release. However, this negative feedback was mostly aimed at the multiplayer and the loot box system. The single-player campaign is a well-written masterpiece that was also fun to play. Throughout the single-player campaign, ?you will play as many classic heroes and a new hero made for this game (Iden Versio). I finished the campaign in a day (on easy lol), but not to worry because add-ons to the campaign story are coming December 12. I look forward to the new stories involving Iden Versio and the rest of the heroes, also looking forward to all upcoming Star Wars games too. If you’re a fan of Star Wars like me I’d recommend this game, only for the single-player though.
Super Mario Odyssey
Picked by falotforonke
I have never been a big fan of the Super Mario franchise; I always found the games to be a little uninspired, dull and not engaging at all when it comes to gameplay. However, Super Mario Odyssey was the most joyful gaming experience I had in a while. Gameplay-wise, it shines with tight and fun controls and well-designed challenges and puzzles; every level shows lovely sceneries with a beautiful soundtrack to accompany them. Even though the game is brandnew, I got some serious nostalgic vibes while playing it. A truly fantastic game, I highly recommend it to anyone owning a Nintendo Switch.
YO-KAI WATCH 2: Psychic Specters
Picked by nagizuma
As a fan of the first Yo-kai Watch game I was excited to play Yo-kai Watch 2 and now I'm even more happy to play the Psychic Specters version, an updated version of Bony Spirits and Fleshy Souls. Psychic Specters would be "the Ultimate Edition" between the three versions with even more Yo-kai to befriend and exclusive new quests. I still got a lot more hours of gameplay! With a nice story, lovely music, cool supernatural friends and a lot of stuff to do in the game I enjoy playing Yo-kai Watch 2. For players deciding which version to choose I would highly recommend Psychic Specters without a doubt.
jimmyb on October 30, 2017 @ 3:38 pm
We've been trying to make more of an effort to touch base with everyone on what we've been up to. I hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their game time. We've been plugging away at the games on our list and trying to make time to work on GitLab cases and resolve issues and add small things into the site when time allows. This go around we've done the following:
- Allow for the hashtag symbol in Battle.net usernames
- We hide the comments section and link to blog comments on blog entries which disallow comments
- We've updated the logo
- We show users forum posts in their profiles (there's a new tab now)
- Several updates to the website's CSS were made
- Updated the verbiage when there's an issue in uploading a new user picture
- You can now see people who have friended you, there's a new tab on the Friends section in user profiles
- The customer ID should now be getting properly set when making donations
- Resolved an issue with incorrect information showing in the donation section
- The site now remembers how you have the sidebar toggled (at least until you quit your web browser)
- We've changed over to Discord for chat (see more below)
- Nintendo Switch and Wii U gamertags / friend codes can now be added to your profile
- Resolved an issue with a missing
atag on one of the forum pages
- We've upgraded to reCAPTCHA v2
- We've built an entirely new email queuing system
The major code update was the rewrite of the email system. We're really hoping this new update allows for the user experience to be a lot better. This will really come into play when you're commenting on game profiles, news articles (like this one), and game reviews. We expect that once you hit the submit for your comment it'll respond and load the page a lot quicker. We'd love to get any feedback from users to see if they're seeing it load any quicker.
As noted above, we've also switched over to using Discord for our chat platform. We hope you'll come and join us! You can join here.
That about wraps it up for this month. Don't eat to much candy tomorrow!
jimmyb on September 20, 2017 @ 8:18 pm
It's been quite some time since we've provided any sort of update (beyond the request for community contributions) so the team felt it would be a good idea to let everyone know what we've been up to!
As always we've been pretty busy outside of work on the site. I personally wish I could donate more development time but it's been pretty tough finding time to sit down and poke through the code. Our database administrators have been working hard to bring in new titles to the database, so I certainly appreciate that!
Development-wise this is what we've completed working on in the last year or so:
- We corrected an issue with the search button not working properly.
- Display issues on public and private profile pages were corrected.
- We fixed a problem with the login and account registration modals from working properly.
- We fixed a bug where you couldn't log into the site from the forums or a page in the forums.
- We identified and fixed several bugs in the new account sign-up process.
- We linked the logo to the main site.
- We updated to newer versions of EmojiOne.
- The modal pop-up when deleting a game from your list was fixed. It wasn't showing up properly.
- We corrected an issue where the search function for the forums wasn't showing up.
- We corrected a display issue for forum posts by banned users.
- We updated styling of forum posts so they look better.
- More stats have been added to user profiles - a number of profile comments, number of games on favorites and wish lists.
- We show the users average rating of games on their profiles.
- A bug with adding and deleting comments from blog entries has been fixed.
- The platform label has been added back to search results.
- We removed the 'Remove Friend' link on public profile pages when you weren't logged in.
- We fixed an issue with adding and removing friends.
- We disallowed people from adding themselves as a friend.
- We added tooltips back to chat user pictures in the chatroom.
- We now cache the most popular games sidebar content. This has greatly improved page loading times across the site.
- An issue with account deletions was resolved.
- We show a start and finish dates along with notes on lists now.
- We've greatly customized the forums backend code so it caters more to our needs, especially with game requesting.
- We show blog views (sort of like the profile hit counter) on the profile pages now.
- We added prettier styling to the pagination on the forums.
- We re-added game linking on game profiles.
- We tied by the newly added games page.
- A typo on the edit profile page was corrected.
- Fixed an issue where all game reviews would show on users profiles instead of only ones that were approved.
- Platform labels on search result pages now link to the platforms page.
- We've paginated the site news.
- On the backend, we've written from the ground up, User, Database, and Game classes. These will greatly help speed up many parts of the website.
- Fixed an issue with setting the hours played for a game.
- We corrected an issue with emoji in the forums.
- An issue with forum post counts was fixed.
- An issue with the source link for the description of a game was fixed.
- The requirement to rate dropped games was removed.
- Verbiage on several pages include the FAQs was fixed.
- We now have the ability to easily turn on and off game requests in the forums.
- We removed the feed privacy option.
- Donations through Stripe are now possible.
- The subject for comments on blog entries has been fixed.
- Resolved an issue with the wrong success and error messages showing when uploading new cover pictures.
- Corrected a bug which set the wrong user permissions when a donation was made.
- Force the site to load in HTTPS. SECURITAH!
- Fixed an issue with special characters not showing properly in the user feed.
- Resolved an issue with a '%' showing up in search results.
- Resolved an error message when a user hadn't rated any games yet.
- Adjusted the 'sign in' icon on mobile devices.
- Fixed an issue with a missing Submit button on forum pages.
- Allow special characters in blog entry titles.
- Fixed a bug preventing game profile pages from fully rendering.
- One of the URLs in the new account signup email was broken. Fixed now!
- Fixed a code issue on single blog entry pages.
- Resolved an issue with game reviews not showing up in user profile pages.
- The user picture in the sidebar is now linked to your profile.
- Fixed a bug with genres not showing on game profile pages.
- Corrected a redirection issue on private profile pages.
- Data input validation to gamer tags and social profile usernames has been added.
- Set the modify time on an account when they reset their password.
- Fixed a big bad bug when setting your forum signature.
- Added backend code to handle the new Fan Game Requests forum.
- Added the 'My Forum Posts' tab on user profiles.
So while it may seem like things haven't been happening. We do try to sneak in some development whenever we have a free moment. I greatly appreciate everyone who is reporting bugs and testing things out.
So what are the plans for the coming months and year? Here are a couple things we hope to get going in the near future.
- Complete our email notification system overhaul. This is going to speed up the process when you leave a comment on a news article, on a game, etc...
- Build a group chatroom.
- Finish converting the site over to our new PHP classes.
- Show a platform breakdown on user profiles.
- Allow users to select the consoles they own and show them off in their profiles.
You can see a lot of the features we have accepted and hope to take action on here:
You can even create your own feature requests!
I'd also like to thank anyone who spared $5.00 and helped keep the site afloat. As noted in my blog post 100% of the donations go into server rentals. Myself, nor Morgan, or anyone who volunteers their time has made a single cent from running MyVideoGameList. We do it because we love video games. Hopefully the above gives you a little insight into how much work we do.
I think that will do it for now, until next time!
@jimmyb & The MyVideoGameList Team
Thorrash on January 01, 2016 @ 7:28 pm
Hey everyone! 2015 has come to a close, and a lot of great games have been released and enjoyed by us all. We've put together some of MVGL's admins' favorite games from the past year. Hopefully you've had a chance to play them, but if not you should add them to your to-play list!
Picked by morgan
As someone who has never gotten into or had any sort of interest in card games, Blizzard has done a fantastic job sucking me into the world of Hearthstone. Being able to play within a world and with characters that I'm already familiar with was just one part of it. Blizzard made this card game dead simple, anyone could pick it up and understand the mechanics of it in a short amount of time. I also very much enjoyed how they offered downloadable content at a decent price which enabled me to play solo and not against a real person. I also enjoyed working hard to get the unique card back for each month. The game lends itself to generally quick matches so it was easy to pick up and play for 15-20 minutes without having to worry about spending an hour or more between save points as with a traditional game. I'm excited to see what 2016 has to bring for Hearthstone!
Picked by jimmyb
This year has been incredibly busy for me, so finding a game that I could get a few quick matches in without having to dedicate hours at a time was a big deal. As a huge fan of Star Wars and the shooter genre, I chose Star Wars Battlefront to be my game of the year. Yeah, it crept in at the end of the year, but I can honestly say it's the game I've had the most fun with in 2015. I love the large and highly details maps. I love being able to fly an X-Wing or hop into an AT-ST to blast away some rebels. I highly enjoyed playing the Supremacy and AT-AT Walker modes for multiplayer. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the DLC is going to offer in 2016.
Picked by BroRocker
An epic conclusion to the Starcraft II story, Legacy of the Void is probably my favorite of the series. The missions are diverse, fun, and even challenging when they need to be. Both old and new, the characters in this game are great and I really like the closure we get on all of their stories that go all the way back to the first Starcraft in 1998. Also, the cut scenes in this game are stunning and probably the best Blizzard have ever made. To top it all off, they’ve added co-op missions which only add to the already top-notch multiplayer experience. All in all, Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void is a great game that is the pinnacle of one of the greatest franchises in gaming history and that’s why it’s my game of the year!
Picked by Thorrash
Heroes of the Storm is Blizzard's long-awaited entry into the MOBA scene. As the grandfather of the genre (since Warcraft III was where DOTA was born), Blizzard had a lot of hype to live up to. I would like to say that they delivered with Heroes of the Storm. The major difference between Heroes of the Storm and its competitors is simple: accessibility. Heroes is much more streamlined than League of Legends or DOTA 2, but that's not a bad thing. I don't feel like I need to keep a sheet of mandatory builds or items just to be competitive, and I don't feel like I need to spend hundreds of hours playing to be as good as other people. Maps are one of Heroes most defining differences as well. Each map has objectives that you want to complete to win the game. Some maps have you taking over an area to use turrets, gathering items to summon monsters, and more. Heroes of the Storm almost feels like the Super Smash Bros of MOBAs. Not only is it accessible, but you get to romp around with established characters from your favorite Blizzard games while doing stuff the competition doesn't offer.
Picked by notjim99
Nintendo gave Wii U owners a treat this year with their newest IP, Splatoon. Taking the tried-and-true formula of the online shooter and giving them the good old Nintendo spin, Splatoon shows gamers that online shooters don't need to be filled with gore and grunge. Gamers this year have enjoyed Splatoon so much that it won "Best Shooter" at this year's The Game Awards, beating out high profile releases like Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 and Halo 5.
Picked by soullesssolace
Disgaea 5 brings NIS's flagship series to the PS4, along with all of its crazy demonic antics. D5 adds a number of features to this tactics series, including fusion skills between certain characters and a revenge system that gives units a bonus when their allies fall in battle. Disgaea 5 offers over 100 hours of entertainment for die-hard fans, along with the comedy you've come to expect from the franchise.
Soccer with rocket-propelled race cars. How crazy is that concept? Rocket League shows just how insane that concept is with this gem of a game. Rocket League gives players high-octane, fast-paced matches that keep players coming back for more. Need more proof? This indie game won "Best Independent Game" and "Best Sports/Racing Game" at this year's The Game Awards, and was nominated for "Best Multiplayer Game."
Let us know what your favorite game of 2015 was in the comments section! Hopefully 2016 bring even more amazing games for us all to enjoy. Happy New Year!
jimmyb on December 27, 2015 @ 4:06 pm
Happy Holidays everyone! Today we've rolled out version 6.0 of the site. I hope everyone enjoys it. We'd very much appreciate it anyone who comes across a bug or an issue while using the site to report it to our Bug Forum.
We'll be continuing to work on this template and adjusting any issues we see. We hope this year to add some new functionality into the site. I'd like to apologize for the lack of updates this past year. I have taken on a new job at my company and haven't been able to dedicate any time to the site. I've also got a couple other web projects I've been working on. If only I could be paid to work on this site, I definitely would!
Of note, at this time we have also closed off game requests as we're simply far to back logged at the moment. We have something like 1500 pending requests in the forums and 2200 pending requests in the queue. Once we're able to get these down to a manageable place we'll re-open requests.
Have a safe, fun and game filled holiday season!
jimmyb on November 21, 2015 @ 4:00 pm
We've been working hard on the next version of MyVideoGameList. While we've only got a single screenshot of 6.0.0 to show you, hopefully it gets everyone excited. We're planning to have a much cleaner and easier to use interface to start with.
We'll be continuing to work hard and push for a release on or before December 30. In the mean time we hope you enjoy this small sneak peek and hope you all have a fantastic Thanksgiving, Christmas/Holiday season!
jimmyb on October 25, 2015 @ 6:54 pm
It's been quite some time since we lasted updated you all. I have been extremely busy and simply don't have the time nor energy to keep the site properly updated with code fixes and new features. I sincerely apologize for that. That said let me fill you in on what's going on.
Presently we've had very little time to do any real work on the site. What few volunteers we do have, have been working hard to process the massive amount of game requests we receive. Unfortunately as you've likely noticed we've fallen quite behind with handling them. Nonetheless we're continuing to leave the request forum open and we will handle them as best we can. If anyone is interested in joining our team please check out our jobs page!
We've recently updated the template on the site, and to be honest, we're not 100% in love with it. It was a rushed job and a poor one at that. For that we greatly apologize. If everyone has some patience we have already picked out a new template and would like to have the site updated to use it by December 31, 2015. I know this might seem like a while, and 2 months is a bit away, however given the time constraints we aleady have that is what we can commit to at this time. I think you're all going to like the new layout, and t's look and feel It should be a lot more mobile friendly as well!
A final word, I thank you all for checking out and using MyVideoGameList.com, if I could make it a full time job I really would. The community has been incredibly supportive, we've had some fantastic ideas from members and I've been able to meet some really wonderful people. I'd like to take a minute and thank all those who have volunteered and to those who have stuck with us. I'd like to make a specific shout out to nagizuma who has been with us for quite a long time now and has done an awesome job knocking out many many game requests. I'd also like to thank morgan who has worked countless hours developing the code which runs the website. I am so thankful I have been given the opportunity to create this community and bring together all sorts of gamers. We have 2 more months left in the year, and we'll be working hard to add more games into the database, bring to you a new layout and hopefully a new feature or two!
jimmyb on March 06, 2015 @ 12:23 pm
Today we've pushed out a huge bunch of code. We call it version 4.0. While we certainly expect there to be some bugs and broken things, we're hoping there's not to many. If anyone comes across something which isn't working and hasn't already been reported in our Site Issues and Bug Reports forum, please, please, please (!!) open a new thread and report the issue you're seeing. Please include as much information as possible and give screenshots as necessary. We'd like to get all the bugs squished before we start working on any new features.It should also be worth noting that we're still working on styling and resolving issues in the forums, so if the forums seem a bit wonky, note we are continually working on them!
Have a great weekend everyone! Don't play too many games!
Psssht, who are we kidding, GAME AWAY!
Recent Gamer Updates
Most Popular Games
Added By: 3678 people.
Added By: 3304 people.
Added By: 3132 people.
Added By: 2767 people.
Added By: 2621 people.
Added By: 2613 people.
Added By: 2537 people.
Added By: 2503 people.
Added By: 2392 people.
Added By: 2255 people.